[Asterisk-Users] faxing

matthew at txlink.net matthew at txlink.net
Wed Jul 28 19:33:22 MST 2004

What are your experiences with faxing through Asterisk to the PSTN?

We are using g.711u as a codec, and are originating/terminating with Broadvox as
well as through our own PSTN gateways.

We have had some luck with incoming faxes coming into our network from Broadvox
DIDs.  They work 50% of the time.  Not sure yet on PSTN incoming since nobody
that is using FAX is in our local rate centers.

Outgoing has been bad.  It seems to work the best if the Sipura user agents have
echo cancelation off, but we have to have echo cancelation on our outbound
gateways or there is echo in the voice path.  Faxing outbound works very
rarely, and if it does, it usually can only send a page or two before we get
the infamous "Poor line condition".

Does anyone have a suitable FAX setup working?