[Asterisk-Users] debian install zaptel

Duane duane at e164.org
Wed Jul 28 18:14:13 MST 2004

Steven Critchfield wrote:

> The distro itself doesn't stop you from running asterisk, or really make
> it that much harder to install.

I'd been to the redhat world tour night in Sydney the night before and a
friend wanted help setting up a server to run asterisk on, I'd picked up
a fedora cd that night with the intension of trying it some time and
kind of worked out well in that respect. Needless to say given a chance
not to use fedora/redhat I'll take it every time.

Anyways I start to install Fedora, and told it to install the kernel etc
during install, which it thought it had, but it hadn't and there was no
way in hell I could get it to install it or uninstall it and dumped it
for debian and literally had it up and running within minutes. I also
asked for the shell browser etc to be installed but it wasn't till well
after I found out redhat had no symlink to links from lynx (I've used
lynx since as long as I've been using linux) so I guess they dumbed it
down too much for users of other distro's to jump off the deep end with
it, and force you to install a gui to get anywhere with it...

For those people wanting step by step instructions on a debian box with
asterisk...

http://www.asterisk.net.au

--

Best regards,
  Duane

http://happysnapper.com.au - Sell your photos over the net!
http://e164.org - Using Enum.164 to interconnect asterisk servers

"In the confrontation between the stream and the rock, the
stream always wins; not through strength, but through persistence."