[Asterisk-Users] Best Linux for Asterisk

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Wed Jul 28 09:19:50 MST 2004

On Wed, 2004-07-28 at 08:13, Eric Kirkland wrote:
> Hi folks;  Can anyone recommend the best Linux OS (versions, etc) to run
> Asterisk?  I'd like to be able to run the Text To Speech apps and some of
> the extended functions of the software (no phone hardware needed, all Voice
> over IP stuff)... I'm currently running Asterisk on Mandrake Linux (vesion
> 10 I think?) but I'm having difficulty compiling the TTS stuff.
>
> I'm just wondering if there's a widely used version that pretty much works
> with everything...?

I'll try to avoid the RMS speech.

At the core linux is just a kernel and a few glue apps. Most of the glue
apps are all from GNU and deviat from one another by less than a
percentage point.

The only difference really introduced in a linux distro is how
streamlined the install is, and a few of the admin tools.

>From recent comments about FC kernels, and my personal feelings about
debian kernels, you are best off compiling a fresh stock kernel. OF
course this advice is getting stale now as of the new kernel development
model.