[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk-and-MacOSX News

Sunrise Ltd stsltdtyo at yahoo.co.jp
Wed Jul 28 07:52:37 MST 2004

A brief update on a few things which should be interesting
to anybody who's got a Mac running OSX ...

1) JPT, integrated desktop dialer now with Asterisk
support (and X-Lite too)

Jon Nathan, the author of Jon's Phone Tool (JPT) has just
released version 2.0.4 which supports dialing through
local and remote Asterisk servers. It also supports
dialing through a locally installed X-lite.

It comes with plug-ins for major desktop apps, so you can
dial out through Asterisk directly from your OSX
Addressbook or Microsoft Entourage etc.

I have been playing with the pre-release for the last week
and found it to be a really nice app. Check it out

see screenshots of Asterisk related stuff here ...

http://www.voip-info.org/tiki-index.php?page=JPT

for more info and to download, go directly to the author's
web site here ...

http://homepage.mac.com/jonn8/jpt

2) Asterisk 1.0 RC1 built and running on OSX 10.3.4

We have now got Asterisk 1.0 RC1 running on OSX 10.3.4
"Panther" (it doesn't build on 10.2 "Jaguar" yet) and so
far it seems to work.

I am working on a new OSX install package for this and
hope to be able to release the package before the end of
the coming weekend.

This will also include an Aqua GUI assistant to add new
extensions and phones, further I am planning to complete
an Assistant for configuring FWD and Voicepulse.

Any service providers who'd like to get their own
Assistant, or who'd be interested to throw a trial account
into the Assistant or other promotional requests, please
contact me off-llist at benjamin (at) sunrise-tel (dot)
com.

The previous OSX install package with CVS from end of last
year, which we've put up about 10 days ago, has been
downloaded nearly 800 times by now. So, it seems there is
plenty of interest in Asterisk amongst Mac users.

3) Other GUI tools still work in progress

Ivan Myvold and I have been working on a variety of OSX
GUI tools for Asterisk as of late. Many people have been
asking about the status of this already. However, other
than the above mentioned Assistants this is still very
much work in progress. Nevertheless, here are some
insights for the curious ...

Ivan has built a very nice Asterisk console app which can
connect to local or remote Asterisk servers and issue
console commands GUI style with returned data additionally
being displayed as a table view in a split window. The
table view allows it to do all the things OSX users are
used to do with tables, most notably reorder and sort by
any coloumn clicked on. We still need to teach it more
commands though.

Console content will be fully searchable and there will be
filters for debugging output and masking of any output
that contains passwords.

I have been working on an Asterisk configuration tool,
some screenshots of which are at
http://www.sunrise-tel.com (for now) but I haven't been
able to get much further since there have been so many
other things popping up. I hope to be able to concentrate
back on this some time next week.

Adri Vidal was kind enough to help us with the Icons,
since we couldn't figure out how to get it from Photoshop
to ICNS format. Thanks Adri.

Last but not least, if there are any Cocoa programmers or
any programmers who know how to use one of the various
XYZ-to-ObjC bridges with their preferred language and who
would like to contribute to some of the stuff we're doing,
please contact me off-list.

Before I close, please allow me to ask for a little help
with getting the OSX build of Asterisk listed at
MacUpdate.com. I have submitted twice and sent email to
them asking why it didn't show up in their catalog yet. I
got a response from some Joel telling me they've never
seen anything. Sent them another email with URLs and all
the rest of it, but still nothing and now silence.
Perhaps, they don't like open source software but maybe if
they get a few email messages of the kind "Why don't you
list Asterisk?" then they might change their mind ;-)

rgds
benjk

--
Sunrise Telephone Systems Ltd
9F Shibuya Daikyo Bldg., 1-13-5 Shibuya, Shibuya-ku, Tokyo, Japan