[Asterisk-Users] Desired Install in MotorHome

Paul Oster paulmoster at gmail.com
Wed Jul 28 07:30:01 MST 2004

I've got a client who would love to be able to leave an asterisk
server running sompelace, and achieve telephone connectivity using an
IP phone from within his Motorhome in his words "I want to be able to
work from a mountaintop in Glacier National Park"

I've done some initial testing, and a SNOM200 SIP phone comes close
enough to working that I have not ruled out the idea as completely
un-workable.

I understand that this is an extreamly hostile environment, the
satelite uplink itself introduces too much latency for a standard
configuration to work (1500ms) which is most likely where the problems
come from.

What I'm wondering is if anyone has ever succeded in making a setup
like this work. Different protocol (H.323 MCGP etc) or different
codecs?

Our testing in his driveway revealed the following.

1.  Incoming calls achieve a ring almost immediately, when answered
there is 1 to 2 seconds delay in the conversation (like a really poor
trans-atlantic call)
2.  Outgoing calls fail... the phone returns "Proxy Authentication
Required" however a few seconds later when the handset is picked up
the inbound leg of the RTP stream is preseant on the phone.  Outgoing
audio is non-existant
3.  Attempts to disconnect from that audio stream fail, the * server
is simply not seeing the hangup from the phone.

So whats everyones opinion, worth exploring further, or am I wasting
my time trying?

Thanks in advance.

Paul M. Oster