[Asterisk-Users] Best Linux for Asterisk

Deon Rodden drodden at webunited.net
Wed Jul 28 07:22:53 MST 2004

It may sound bad, but I use Fedora Core 1. However, I installed using
reiserfs (my preferred filesystem) and I installed all the updates and had
to custom compile a new kernel (as the stock one that comes with Fedora is
too screwy, and the sources aren't done right and certain programs wouldn't
compile). However, once I did the updates and used a custom compiled kernel,
everything runs fast/smooth on it.  I haven't had an issue compiling
anything Asterisk related, yet. I did have issues with my Redhat 9 server,
and my OpenNA 1.0 server.  Of course, I have put a lot of security and
performance tweaks into my Fedora installation, had to make it "less redhat"
but now it runs good.

You may not be willing to do all that work; but if you're familiar with
redhat and how they do things and their directory structures and common
commands, I think Fedora Core 1 is a good choice.

Just a FYI. I think you'll find that as long as your favorite distro is
decent, Asterisk will work.