[Asterisk-Users] IRC Etiquette

Deon Rodden drodden at webunited.net
Tue Jul 27 06:29:54 MST 2004

Read this "thread" since Mark wrote the email. Decided to add my 2 cents. I
join the mailing lists for whatever project my company puts me in, and I've
seen this problem before. I almost come to expect it. And I can see it from
both points of views. I've spent many hours in the Wiki, just reading and
learning. Sometimes I wish certain things would be elaborated a little more,
not just a quick "this is what it does" and the description is more
complicated than the actual item. I would expect//hope that if I asked the
users list or IRC for further elaboration, I'd hope they'd help me, or at
least point me to more in depth documentation on it. I don't mind it when
somebody replies to me with a specific link to what I'm looking for, it
helps me out greatly, and I have no problem reading up on it or learning it.
I think that becomes the major issue here, people that ask help right away
without looking it up.

I dislike very much the posts that say "I just installed Asterisk, I need it
to do this, how do I do it?" and they expect somebody to give them the
configs and support from A-Z. Many of us have spent countless hours in our
configs, tweaking, fixing, enhancing, and for somebody to expect us to whip
up configs on the fly for them is a little presumptious. I usually do not
reply to those questions, as I know that even if I tried, I probably
couldn't hide the sarcasm. If the post seems nice enough or genuine enough,
I may reply with a link.

The guru's get sarcastic because they've spent countless hours reading
documentation, previous messages, sifting through code, and they finally got
it worked out for the most part. And for some person to jump on with doing
little to no research at all and to expect them to teach them everything, of
course that would be annoying.  I do like Chris's perspective, that
disrespect is earned, not respect. It makes sense, if I don't know somebody,
I will initially treat them with respect, you have to in our field.  So if a
new person posts "help me do everything I want so I don't have to research
it" politely respond, point them to documentation and maybe even give them a
quick starter on where to look or how they should proceed to accomplish it.
If they continue to ask for help, every single time they run into even a
small problem, then I can see the level of sarcasm rising; But just try to
calmly let them know that they can't keep asking for help every single time
something simple comes up.

I think for the most part, people in this list have been helpful, far more
helpful than I would have been at some points in time. Keep up the good
work. Anyways, see you all at Astricon.