[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk for a large scale implementation

Nicholas Bachmann asterisk at not-real.org
Mon Jul 26 17:46:49 MST 2004

Harry Schechter wrote:

>I am looking at Asterisk for a large scale implementation. I was
>wondering if anyone had any experience (that's code for nice things or
>not so nice things to say about it) with Asterisk for 50k plus users.

I don't have 50k users, but I can say that it's definitely possible with
Asterisk; however, you'll need a lot of planning -- it will certainly be
a measure-twice-cut-once proposition :-). You're going to need to learn
about database-based config files, IAX trunking, affinity-based load
balancing, and likely what a good consultant charges :-). Look for the
thread "Asterisk on 64bit" from a while back for some of my ideas for a
large-scale implementation and some interesting counterpoints to those
ideas.

We can probably help you more if you can give us more details. Are you
planning on IP phones or analog stations? Will you be doing PSTN
termination? With a VoIP or traditional carrier? The more details you
can provide, the better.

>Feel free to reply to me directly or back to this list (if it's
>appropriate. I'm not sure what the proper netiquette is).

Please report to the list or Wiki what your experiences are, whatever
they may be. A lot of people have speculated on what it would take to do
a massive implementation, but nobody has really proved us right or wrong.

Nick