[Asterisk-Users] IRC Etiquette

Mark Woods asteriskadmin at fuse.net
Mon Jul 26 17:10:19 MST 2004

> > 3. Reply with a fairly useless "Look harder"

As a new list member, I'm going to burn a few bridges here, but I don't really care.  I entered this list without an opinion on whether it is worthwhile to be here, and here's my observation:  there's a problem here, and that's for certain.  I've been subscribed to this list for less than a day, and I've already seen more than one post that talks down to people.

None of us knows it *all*, and you people that write condescending replies have issues.  What's the matter?  Don't get enough respect at home so you have to try and demand it from people that are *simply asking for assitance*?

If you don't like the question, the answer is obvious: don't answer it.  Good or bad documentation is irrelevant.

And before some of you start trying to bash me too, keep this in mind:  I have well over 10 years of data networking experience with major installations (Pentagon, and other, 10,000 drop plus organizations), as well as what can easily be considered expert, near-expert or, at a minimum, advanced level skills with more than one operating system, including Linux, plus telephony experience (ala NEC).  And I can easily see how some questions may have answers in the documentation, but that doesn't mean that they make sense to everyone.

So here's a suggestion:  chuck the attitude and help where you want, and keep quiet when you don't want to assist.  Nobody's forcing anyone to do anything here.  Talking down to people just makes you look like an ass, and does, in fact, turn others off not only from what is an *excellent* application, but from the community itself and that serves NOBODY.

-Mark