[Asterisk-Users] IRC Etiquette

Jeremy McNamara jj at nufone.net
Mon Jul 26 14:51:42 MST 2004

Mark Spencer wrote:
> To everyone who spends time in #asterisk or #asterisk-bugs or basically
> anything with #asterisk in its name, I want to implore you to please
> treat new users with respect, and act as good representatives of the
> Asterisk community.  Recently I have had more reports of new users being
> severely turned off of the project in general due to the comments,
> reactions and attitudes of a few members of the asterisk channels.
 >
 > The success of the Asterisk project depends upon users and developers,
 > and remember that every one of you, even the most experienced Asterisk
 > users were at one point a newbie and needed some hand holding from
 >someone.

Ok, then someone has to step up and make absolutely sure Asterisk has
valid up-to-date documentation that newbies know how to find. Then the
link(s) to that documentation should always show up in the topic of said
IRC channels.

In my book, respect is earned.  They can earn respect by asking informed
questions, but if the documentation is incorrect, what's the point?

Jeremy McNamara