[Asterisk-Users] Global Variables Scope

Mike Coakley mcoakley at ioumail.com
Mon Jul 26 14:07:50 MST 2004

All,

Can you use the global variables set in the [globals] section of the
extension.conf file in other configuration files?

Here is an example:

I have a file called globalvars.conf that I include in the [globals]
section in extension.conf. I would like either (a) that the global
variables being defined in this section can be used from voicemail.conf
or (b) that I can include the globalvars.conf in voicemail.conf and use
the variables there also.

So: (Bad example but just allow me...)

globalvars.conf

#MY INFORMATION
MC_NAME=Mike Coakley
MC_EXT=2100
MC_VM=2100 at tech
MC_QUEUE=techs
MC_EMAIL=mcoakley @ ioumail.com
MC_PAGER=yeahright @ spamyalater.com

Then in extension.conf

[globals]
#include globalvars.conf

[tech_stations]
exten => 2100,1,Macro(std_extn,${MC_EXT}, ${MC_VM})

In voicemail.conf

[tech]
${MC_VM}=1234,${MC_NAME},${MC_EMAIL},${MC_PAGER}

This ability would be great for information consolidation purposes.
Anyone tried this? Should it work?

And for those of you wondering... yes I have tried it and it appears to
work, partially. I use it in voicemail.conf and sip.conf and it can
screw up SIP registration depending upon the way I put the
configuration. So that is why I am asking. Should I be able to do this?
If so, it isn't working properly. If not... back to the keyboard I have
to retype a lot of things.

Mike