[Asterisk-Users] drivers, kernel 2.6 and distribution

Florin Andrei florin at andrei.myip.org
Mon Jul 26 10:54:36 MST 2004

I'm planning to do some tests with a Wildcard TDM400P and Asterisk as a
small PBX, bridging POTS and VoIP. My test system is currently running
Fedora 2, based on the 2.6 kernel.
I intend to use Asterisk 1.0 RC1 in the tests.

While gathering information regarding how to compile the required
software, i came across several issues being reported, related to the
2.6 kernel series.

I'd like to take the road that requires the minimum effort. If it's
possible at all to use Asterisk and the TDM400P on a 2.6 machine, and if
that's actually not too difficult, i'll probably go this way.
But if there are many issues with this approach, i'm thinking to simply
revert back to the 2.4 kernel; downgrading to Fedora 1 might not be the
best move, since support for Fedora distros is (will be) quite
short-lived, but perhaps migrate that system to Gentoo on kernel 2.4.

I have zero experience so far with Asterisk and the related software, so
that's why i'm asking you guys - which way is easier overall:

1. Stay with Fedora 2 and kernel 2.6 and fight off the driver-related
obstacles

2. Back up the machine, install Gentoo and kernel 2.4, restore data and
functionality then compile Asterisk and the drivers

--
Florin Andrei

http://florin.myip.org/