[Asterisk-Users] Broadvoice problems again

Jeremy Hall jeremyhall at mpccorp.com
Mon Jul 26 09:29:46 MST 2004

Deon Rodden <> scribbled on Monday, July 26, 2004 10:05 AM:

> I'm curious though, I'm paying $19.95 for unlimited local and long
> distance.
> Why would you choose to push your long distance calls out of NuFone
> (or even VoicePulse Connect) if BroadVoice doesn't charge for long
> distance?

Because I am only using their $9.95 per month "in-state" plan, rather
than their $19.95 per month "nationwide" plan.  If you are not on the
nationwide plan, they charge $.039 per minute for long distance.  I do
not make anywhere near the $10 per month difference in long distance
calls.  Therefore, it is cheaper for me to pay Nufone for the few
minutes I actually use.  It takes 500 minutes (a little over 8 hours) of
long distance at Nufone's $.02 per minute rates to reach the $10 per
month increase in price for the nationwide plan.  Considering most
months I have less than 30 minutes of long distance calling on my home
phone, I am saving that $9+.  Now if we have more friends move out of
area, or start talking more to our family members that are out of the
area, we may be better off by changing to the other plan.  Since
Broadvoice doesn't charge to change plans, we would only have to wait
for the next billing cycle for it to kick in, and more than likely won't
be much over the $10 in charges that month.

Part of the low usage comes from the fact that I have free long distance
on my cell phone.  Since I hardly ever come close to using all 300
minutes of service each month, I generally just use my cell phone any
time I need to make long distance.  When FWD has their free calling
enabled, that also helps to curb the need for toll calls.

Jeremy