[Asterisk-Users] Status of Q.SIG on Asterisk?

Andrew Kohlsmith akohlsmith-asterisk at benshaw.com
Fri Jul 23 06:44:38 MST 2004

The last post I saw regarding this was June 2003 (before my time with *, I
started in September):

http://lists.digium.com/pipermail/asterisk-users/2003-June/013324.html

Is there any support for Q.SIG in * at all?  The Norstar MICS uses a MCDN
(Meridian Customer Defined Network) key to enable the "SL1" protocol which
from everything I've been reading is just Q.SIG.  This protocol should enable
* to turn on/off the MWI for Norstar's phones and combined with some OLI
magic be able to have * take over the voicemail "features" <cough> of the
MICS.

Is Q.SIG a well-defined standard?  Patent/NDA-encumbered?  Is it supposed to
be an interop protocol or do companies like Nortel bastardize it for their
own nefarious uses?

-A.