[Asterisk-Users] RAID/SCSI/IDE/SATA and a TE405P (or T100P) card. Should I expect problems?

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Thu Jul 22 15:35:02 MST 2004

On Thu, 2004-07-22 at 14:03, Deon Rodden wrote:
> Not sure on load as of yet. We have a bout 80 customers right now, most with
> only 1 phone. 3-5 of them are small offices with 5-10 phones. Right now we
> have 3 PRI's and 1 Older Voice T1 (non PRI, 24 channels) going into a Cisco
> router, which then sends it via SIP to Asterisk. I'm wanting to phase out
> the Cisco as the TE405P cards are cheaper than the Dual Port VWIC cards for
> the Cisco.
>
> However, reading all these posts about hardware incompatibiliites and little
> issues with different hardware has gotten me a little concerned about this
> migration/changeover. IRQ's, poor quality controllers, dual processor's,
> raid vs ide, etc. etc. can all affect a call. If the server isn't just
> right, I could encounter issues.

Poor quality hardware breeds poor quality calls. There is a reason most
telephony hardware is expensive.

While building computers for a while, I learned that windows didn't
deserve the amount of crashes attributed to it. Hardware continually
caused windows to crash. Granted I learned that after I had become bit
by the linux bug and was on my way to not looking back.

What I also learned is that MB manufacturers are in a commodity
business. This explains why they look to cut as little as a penny per
capacitor to add to their bottom line. So unless you are willing to buy
non commodity hardware, you might get crap.

Of course when you buy a decent machine, you may well be back close to
your cisco price.