[Asterisk-Users] Re: RAID affecting X100P performance...

Stephen R. Besch sbesch at acsu.buffalo.edu
Thu Jul 22 07:38:25 MST 2004

Scott Laird wrote:

> In the context of Asterisk, where disk I/O is either logging or
> voicemail, buying a 3ware card and a pair of IDE drives seems like a
> decent business decision.

I agree.  Even more to the point, when using T100P's which need high
quality, fast service from the CPU and the host bus, I would recommend
putting your RAID in a separate box. Any cheap MOBO with a raid card,
software raid, onboard raid controller, etc., should suffice since the
only thing it will be doing is RAID and the maximum I/O rate will be
10MB per second or so, limited by the ethernet speed. If you use
internet for a voice channel, make sure that you use a separate NIC to
talk to the RAID, and assign it a lower interrupt priority than those
used by the telephony hardware.

Stephen R. Besch