[Asterisk-Users] Future installation questions - what do I need?

Michael Little mlittle at iqep.com
Wed Jul 21 18:36:41 MST 2004

I just want to clarify a few things.  I have about 100 Toshiba digital
phones, 4 ports on the voicemail, and 24 phone lines.  Not all of the
lines are POTS lines.  I think 8 of the lines are Direct Inbound Dial
(DID).  Due to a decrease in call volume, I am most likely going to
cancel 6 - 8 POTS lines in the near future.  Also, due to the cost
involved with implementing a completely new phone system the Toshiba
phone system will have to stay.  This will be phase out a little at a
time.  If the rumor is correct, what would you do if you need more than
four Digium cards?  Would you run multiple Asterisk boxes?  Currently, I
have Asterisk installed on a Slackware 10 system for testing purposes.
I am going to test it on the side.  Once I feel confident with Linux
(sorry, I don't have a lot of experience with it) and Asterisk, I will
put it in place of the Toshiba voicemail for "live" (after hours)
testing.  Luckily, our developer at work prefers running Linux, so I
have someone to run to for assistance.

Thanks for the info.  I will review the hardware needs and make a
purchase SOON.