[Asterisk-Users] RAID affecting X100P performance...

Scott Laird scott at sigkill.org
Wed Jul 21 17:26:43 MST 2004

On Jul 21, 2004, at 4:53 PM, Joshua McClintock wrote:
> Our production environment is using a 4 port 3ware 8500 series card
> with
> 2 drives (mirrored) on the pstn (2 t1 cards) machine and an 8 port
> 3ware
> 8500 series with 8 drives (raid5) on the pbx/vm machine.
>
> Flawless so far.

Why so many drives for VM?  A back-of-the-envelope calculation suggests
that you should be able to fit around 24 hours' worth of voice mail per
GB.  Unless you're recording all of your incoming and outgoing calls,
it sounds like you're *swimming* in disk space.  Not that that's a bad
thing, but it sounds kind of excessive.

Scott