[Asterisk-Users] RAID affecting X100P performance...

Andrew Kohlsmith akohlsmith-asterisk at benshaw.com
Wed Jul 21 15:15:23 MST 2004

On Wednesday 21 July 2004 16:33, Steven Critchfield wrote:
> Software raid is bad. IDE hardware raid isn't much better. Software raid
> is always going to eat your system alive since the CPU has to be busy
> with 2 or more writes as opposed to it's normal 1.

I've never had issues with IDE RAID1 -- rebuild can be CPU costly but you can
throttle it with the /proc interface.  And issuing two async writes should
not be that terrible on a system.

> Raid 5 spreads the load over spindles and should take less CPU total,
> but don't bet on it if it is IDE.

RAID5 involves calculating the checksum/parity information (ok it's only an
XOR but still) -- I've never used IDE SW RAID5.

> Go SCSI or don't do RAID.

SCSI is good, yes, but really, how is a decent IDE (especially SATA) drive
much different from SCSI these days in terms of CPU use?

-A.