[Asterisk-Users] Adding another channel to a Dial() already in progress

jim at digitalchemy.ca jim at digitalchemy.ca
Wed Jul 21 13:49:23 MST 2004

Greetings all,

I've been brainstorming an application that would take an incoming call and present
it  to several interfaces, some of which would be external to the system.

So, a call comes into the * on a PRI DID and then will dial out to the user's desk
phone, as well as their cell phone, home phone, cottage, whatever. Whomever
answers first gets the call. No big deal so far, right?

Here's where I get stuck. After 2 or 3 rings I want the reception phone ADDED to the
call. By this I mean that I don't want the other phones to STOP ringing (that'd just be
another step after the timeout on the original Dial() statement). I want them to
continue ringing, but have the reception phone now start to ring as well.
Basically the  idea is to add more and more phones until someone answers. Sure,
the caller will hang up eventually, but in environments where AutoAttendant or
Voicemail is not acceptable, this would give the greatest chance of the correct
person answering the call, while also allowing back up resources to assist in the
overflow.

I haven't really prototyped this yet because I'm still brainstorming it (some problems
that would have to be sorted out include what to do if a remote voicemail answers
the call).

The only application I can think of that would allow adding a call to call(s) in
progress would be MeetMe, and I have no idea if that'd work at all. Also, I don't
want  to hack something together that's kludgy if there's a simpler way.

Any ideas?

Much obliged.

--
Jim Van Meggelen