[Asterisk-Users] Cisco 7960, multiple registrations, and NAT

Reid A. Forrest reid at cvtelecom.com
Wed Jul 21 06:13:12 MST 2004

I'm having an interesting problem with a Cisco 7960 phone, and two Asterisk
servers. I'm not sure if this problem is specific to the 7960, or even to
Asterisk for that matter.

Here's the scenario. I have an * server at one location with a public IP
address (i.e. not behing NAT). I have a second * server and 7960 phone at
another location. This one is on a private LAN, and uses NAT to get out on to
the Internet.

I have been successful in registering the 7960 to the local * server. There's
no NAT here, so it's easy.

I have registered the phone to the remote * server (using nat=yes in *, and
nat_enable plus nat_received_processing on the 7960). This works fine too.

BUT, I want a line button on the local * box, plus a line button on the
remote * box. This works too, for a while. After a short while, usually once
I've completed a call to/from the remote * box, the phone starts dishing out
its public address to the local * box, even though there's no NAT to the
local one.

I hope I haven't confused the entire list here. What I'd like is a way to
specify that the phone should use NAT translations for the remote *, but not
for the local one. As far as I can tell, the 7960 nat options are global, not
per line.

Can anyone help?

-Reid