[Asterisk-Users] PRI dead in USA?

Doug Shubert doug at accessgate.net
Tue Jul 20 17:06:25 MST 2004

Tim,
good point, and BRI's steal precious Cu pairs off the aging trunk lines.
PRI costs in our area (northeast USA) were around $600/month a few years
back.

BTW, I found this interesting. Not much about a VoIP service though.

Verizon Announces FTTP Rollout
Verizon has announced that it will begin providing fiber-to-the-premises
("FTTP") in markets in California, Florida and Texas this year.  Verizon
said it intends to pass 1 million homes and businesses in parts of 9 states
with fiber by the year-end.  The new suite of fiber-optic services will be
called Verizon Fios (FYE-ose).  Verizon is offering three data speeds: 5
Mbps/2 Mbps for $34.95 a month as part of a calling package, or $39.95 a
month stand-alone; 15 Mbps/2 Mbps for $44.95 a month as part of a calling
package, or $49.95 a month stand-alone, and; 30 Mbps/5 Mbps at pricing to be
announced later.  The company plans a Fios video offering to give consumers
an alternative to cable TV in 2005.  Each consumer data offer includes the
suite of services currently available to Verizon Online DSL customers at no
additional charge, including: MSN Premium content; Verizon's new Broadband
Beat entertainment portal optimized for high-speed access featuring news,
games, streaming video and more; up to nine e-mail accounts with 30
megabytes (MB) of storage for the primary account and an additional 10 MB
for each sub-account; address book and calendar; 10 MB personal Web space
and a Web site building tool; and access to newsgroups.

-Doug