[Asterisk-Users] PRI dead in USA?

Dave O'Shea grumpygeek at gmail.com
Tue Jul 20 12:10:40 MST 2004

SBC never was overly enthusiastic about BRI circuits; when it was a
popular technolgy 7-10 years ago they priced it too high, and it
languished in limbo since it was too expensive for residential, but
too cheap to interest the corporate sales force, who didn't want to
undercut T1 sales. I helped a customer order a few for a
videoconferencing project recently, and it was such a nightmare that
the project was shelved and an IP-based solution was put in.

You can't order CID service on the circuit because the provisioning
system only knows about CID on POTS lines, but AFAIK, it's an inherent
part of the BRI specification, and it's always worked on every BRI
I've tried it on, though the sales rep is always confused by the
"it's-there-but-it's-not-there" syndrome.