[Asterisk-Users] PRI dead in USA?

Carmi Weinzweig carmi-asterisk-users at jimiscool.com
Tue Jul 20 12:00:31 MST 2004

If one is using BRI primarily for voice, POTS lines while they will
work are not a great replacement for many reasons:

No reliable disconnect
Slower call setup times
Slower and less reliable number delivery (CallerID vs. ANI)
Lower voice quality

While no one seems to actually support it, it should be possible to
support DID over BRI, which would make small BRI installations very
cost effective.

Fractional PRI might be something to consider as well, but it really
depends on how many lines you need and what SBC's gouge rates are these
days. I'd also check with the CLECs there.

/carmi