[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk Gui client

Holger Schurig hs4233 at mail.mn-solutions.de
Tue Jul 20 00:33:25 MST 2004

Beware: I might be biased!

> http://67.109.153.236/*web/
> It edits extensions.conf after some customization.However unable to
> update sip.conf.

I guess you made yourself lot's of work.

However, there is already a PHP based web editor that works on this low
level of editing *.conf directly.

I personally don't see the benefit of this. To edit Asterisk on the *.conf
level, you have to know how that works, e.g. all the subleties of the
extension logic, of the options for the Dial command and so on. So you
need training (or self-training by reading the Wiki) to be able to edit
at this level.

And if you know all of this, then you probably also know "vi", "emacs" or
"joe". And then a web interface is suddenly too clumsy.

Your mileage may, of course, vary. :-)

> http://67.109.153.236/asterisk-stat/cdr.php
> Link to the CDR Tool.

Seems to be the one that I know already :-)

> http://67.109.153.236/cgi-bin/am/am-main.pl
> The perl based Asterisk GUI Management system.
> Help is available online in same panel. This code is a bit
> cumbersome and I am not going to attempt developing this.
> PHP is much more preferrable.

This GUI has a non-describing structure. When I clicked Edit profile and
did not enter a name, but pressed enter, I was presented with a web form.
But I was not sure what I was editing. I felt like staying in limbo.

Also the web interface looks a little boring.

> Once the code reaches some useful level, I am going to post
> the source code back here, through a download link.

Which one is yours?

Would you mind looking at http://www.holgerschurig.de/destar.html and
install it?  Sorry, I can't give you an link for an online presentation
because I don't have access to some server where I can install it.

Please look critically at the program and give me back any feedback.

The program starts being usable, but generally I find every day some bugs
and add every second day some features. My goal is to use this program in
production in about one month's time.

It's not PHP, it's Python. But when you look at some cfg_*.py file, you
see that it is actually easy to add or modify stuff, even for PHP, Perl
etc programmers. Im using very Pythonic techniques only in other files
:-)

This program is aimed to be a "hand-holding" program. Currently, you
cannot edit *.conf files directly. Instead, you edit high level objects.
E.g. a SIP phone, a CAPI line, test applications like echo etc. When you
save, it will re-create all needed *.conf files for you.

The program can display a description of what you edit and even hints for
the lines (althought I didn't used this). There's infrastructore to
translated all displayed text into any language.

Later I'll add user stuff (like personal phone book, last N received
calls, last N dialled calls), admin stuff (office phone book, CDR display
analysis). Also I need more infrastructure, e.g. User Identities with
logon. But most of the infrastructure is now there.

Greetings, Holger

--
M&N Solutions GmbH       http://www.mn-solutions.de
Holger Schurig