[Asterisk-Users] PSTN Gateway X101P

Marty Mastera mmastera at m3resources.com
Sun Jul 18 21:01:39 MST 2004

> When I call the pstn number, the zaptel picks up the line on
> the first ring and then forwards it to the sip phone and
> rings it. Is there anyway to prevent the zaptel from picking
> up the line until the sip phone actully answers the call.
> This way I could answer the phone either locally on a regular
> analog handset or through the sip phone.
>
> The way it is now, it only rings my phones in the house 1 time.
>
> Jason

Hey Jason, glad things are working...I think I understand your problem
and the short answer is no - there isn't a way to ring the x-lite
without asterisk answering the call first (if I'm wrong about this,
someone please correct me!).  It sounds like your analog telephone isn't
connected into the asterisk box, but instead just plugged into a
standard wall outlet somewhere, connected directly to the pstn.  If this
is the case, you will be limited b/c asterisk must answer the call
before it can do any other processing such as ring another phone,
etc...you might be able to configure asterisk to answer after 5 rings or
something, giving you a chance to answer the analog phone first, but
most people would probably do the following:

The way around this is to connect your analog phone into asterisk and
have asterisk ring the analog phone and the x-lite simultaneously,
giving you the choice of how to answer it.  There are a couple of ways
to do this, such as a Digium TDM400B pci card with 1 FXS module
installed in it (to which you would connect the phone), or a SIP (or
H.323, or IAX) to FXS adapter such as the cisco ata 286 or the sipura
2000, etc.. (various models are described on the wiki)...

There are plenty of advantages to this such as music on hold, the
ability to transfer calls between x-lite and the analog phone, and
plenty more as described on the wiki..

Marty