[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk and zaptel on Fedora Core 2

Jean-Yves Avenard jean-yves.avenard at hydrix.com
Sun Jul 18 07:45:45 MST 2004

Dear all.

As I couldn't get to compile and run Asterisk 1.0RC1 on my default
RedHat 9 I thought it was about time to upgrade to Fedora Core 2. Well,
it was too late to realize the kernel 2.6 wasn't supported by Asterisk
*officially* anyway.

Here is what I did to get asterisk and zaptel to work under Fedora Core
2:
I posted it on the wiki and here is an extract

Getting asterisk to work on fedora core 2 is no problem. But getting
zaptel to work is another issue.
The kernel (2.6.5) source code provided with Fedora Core 2 is missing
some auto-generated components. I found that the easiest way to get
around all those issues was to download a new kernel source code like
2.6.7 from www.kernel.org.
Here is the procedure:
1-Grab the 2.6.7 kernel source code and untar it (do not untar it in
/usr/src, this is a very bad practice)
2-Copy the .config file from the default /usr/src/linux-2.6.5-1.358
into the 2.6.7 source code directory.
3-type; make menuconfig and make the necessary change for your hardware
configuration. You could just leave it as it is as the default Fedora
Core 2 contains everything. But having so much stuff in means much
longer compilation time! Quit and save the .config file
4-Compile and install your kernel as describe there:
http://www.digitalhermit.com/linux/Kernel-Build-HOWTO.html

5-Create a link linux-2.6 to your 2.6.7 linux kernel directory in
/usr/src; something like:
ln -s /data/work/src/linux-2.6.7 /usr/src/linux-2.6
6-Reboot with the new kernel

7-Get the latest asterisk, libpri and zaptel source code from the
digium CVS directory
8-Go into the zaptel directory and type:
 >make clean
 >make linux26
 >make install
 >make config
9-Edit the file /etc/init.d/zaptel and replace all:
insmod with modprobe
and rmmod with modprobe -r

That's it.
Make sure it works by starting the script
/etc/init.d/zaptel start
doing lsmod should show the wcfxs and zaptel module being installed.

then install and run asterisk as usual.

Hope all of this help
Jean-Yves

- ---