[Asterisk-Users] Echo problem update - POSSIBLE SOLUTION

Steve Underwood steveu at coppice.org
Sat Jul 17 21:06:19 MST 2004

John Galt wrote:

>could  one at least in the case of the fxo/fxs cards just call out one
>port and be looped back into the other, record the outgoing and
>incomming call (one recording / port) then compare the phase
>difference of the 2 recordings?
>
>-Galt

That is probably the simplest way to achieve the required analysis. Any
dropped, or inserted, audio sample represents a large phase jump. Send a
single tone at a frequency which doesn't correlate well with the 8000
samples/second rate (i.e. things like 1kHz would be a poor choice). Then
just run a sliding medium term correlation (simply the sliding dot
product of maybe 20ms of audio is adequate) between the transmitted and
received audio, and look for significant jumps, after an initial
settling period. That should be a solid, noise tolerant, way of looking
for these phase jumps.

With digital interfaces (BRI, E1, T1) you should get back precisely what
you send. It is better in those cases to loop back, send random numbers
and check you get back the same random values. The path length is not
very long, so its not a big problem to sync to the delay between the
outgoing and incoming stream. Once things initially settle, any wrong
value, and especially any change in the delay between transmit and
receive is a bad thing.

A simple tool like this for people to check out new installations has
real long term value, beyond the short term goal of fixing echo
problems. The number of people having data slip problems affecting their
use of my SoftFax has made me consider writing such a tool recently. If
anyone would like to save me the trouble, please do. :-)

Regards,
Steve