[Asterisk-Users] 7960 Dynamic DNS?

Marty Mastera mmastera at m3resources.com
Fri Jul 16 18:15:23 MST 2004

> It's a way to specify a DNS via config file which has
> priority over whatever is handed out from DHCP.
>
> (Optional) IP address of a new dynamic DNS server. If a new
> DNS server address is specified, it is used for any further
> DNS requests after the phone uses the initial DNS address
> upon bootup. The DNS addresses are used in the following order:
> 1. dyn_dns_addr_1 (if present)
> 2. dyn_dns_addr_2 (if present)
> 3. DNS Server 1
> 4. DNS Server 2
> 5. DNS Server 3
> 6. DNS Server 4
> 7. DNS Server 5
> The dynamic DNS address is not stored in flash memory. Only
> dotted IP addresses are accepted. This value can be cleared
> by removing it from the configuration file or by changing its
> value to a null value " " or to "UNPROVISIONED."
> Note The dynamic DNS address is not stored in flash memory.

Thanks Shane, that clears up my confusion from the Cisco docs....as
stated is seems to make sense but the term 'dynamic DNS server' seems
misleading to me (at least - in that I wanted it to have a different
meaning than they do!)...

Does anyone have any ideas on how to accomplish a dynamic dns
registration without relying on a PC to do it? My router (Dell
TrueMobile 2300) doesn't seem to offer this feature either.

Marty