[Asterisk-Users] Re: sendmail.cf and relaymail to a smtp server

David Cook dbc_asterisk at advan.ca
Fri Jul 16 10:50:25 MST 2004

I am presuming your Asterisk box is behind your ISP. You don't actually
need user/pw to send somebody email in the outside world, but your ISP
has prevented you from _directly_ sending email to anybody and make you
go through their SMTP server which forces you to authenticate with it
like a Mail User Agent rather than a Mail Transport Agent.

You don't need relaying, you need to define your ISP as a "Smart Host"
for SMTP and then you need to invoke authentication.

Try this link for the auth stuff:
http://www.sendmail.org/~ca/email/auth.html

Then in your sendmail.cf file you need to specify your ISP as a smart
host by looking for the "DS" line and adding your isp with no spaces
like this:
DSmyisp.com

It is probably too much to delve into at this point, but after you get
this working, go check out managing sendmail with the m4 preprocessor.
It will allow you to automatically generate sendmail.cf files from a
(more) comprehensible file than the .cf. It will make a world of
difference once you start chaning more than just one value like we are
doing here.

dbc.