[Asterisk-Users] Where can i get an UK SIP account with UK number?

Chris Luke chrisy at flirble.org
Fri Jul 16 08:49:57 MST 2004

steve at daviesfam.org wrote (on Jul 16):
> On Fri, 16 Jul 2004, Chris Bond wrote:
> > What I want to know is why you can port mobile numbers from network to
> > network but say you have a local std code and you wanted to use that with a
> > VoIP provider in the UK - in most instances you cant.  Some are available to
> > offer STD codes in certain towns but not all.
>
> It is possible to port geographic numbers between providers - I was able
> to port from BT to NTL.
>
> So there is a process for doing it.  But I believe the new operator needs
> to have routes to accept the ported calls.  Presumably most do not have
> those routes.

http://www.btwholesale.com/content/binaries/service_and_support/pricing_information/carrier_price_list_browsable/b1_08.rtf

Tells you how much geographic number portability costs with BT, though
you may also need to refer to other schedules if you intend to transit
those calls over BT's network to wherever you connect to them.

The only people who do it effectively have interconnects with BT in
most exchanges, thus keeping these conveyance charges down. They would
mostly be the cable operators, of course.

Chris.
== chrisy at flirble.org