[Asterisk-Users] spa-3000 review?

Wolfgang S. Rupprecht list+asterisk-users at lists.wsrcc.com
Wed Jul 14 12:52:49 MST 2004

radamson at routers.com (Rich Adamson) writes:
> Since the 3000 has been out for a little while, has anyone done a
> review of the product? (couldn't find anything on google for wiki).
>
> Can the fxo and fxs ports be used as two independent channels?
> Is it really read for prime time?
> Etc.

I got it yesterday afternoon.  It is a very cute unit that is
surprisingly small.  (When I saw the size of the package I was at
first afraid they'd mistakenly only sent me a power supply!)

The fxo and fxs are indeed separate and show up as two peers and
users.

bonnet*CLI> sip show peers
Name/username    Host            Dyn Nat ACL Mask             Port     Status
9757/9757        192.83.197.10    D          255.255.255.255  5061     OK (29 ms)
6003/6003        192.83.197.10    D          255.255.255.255  5060     OK (22 ms)
bonnet*CLI> sip show users
Username         Secret           Accountcode     Def.Context     ACL  NAT
9757             XXX                              from-untrusted- No   No
6003             YYY                              from-trusted-in No   No

The biggest problem with the unit is that it doesn't come with the
slightest scratch of documentation.  Not even a URL to download a
preliminary manual.  Setting it up is apparently meant to be a test
that only the true followers of the Polynesian god Sip-Ura will be
able to undertake, If one is used to the Grandstream one-page
does-it-all http configuration, this baby is going to be a real shock.
It goes on for pages and pages and has multiple views where the harder
to explain features are not shown, apparently in an attempt to not
scare every last person away.

It is quite evident that Sipura put quite a bit of work into the code
and intent is clearly to provide a mini firmware-based gateway/server
that can be used standalone to do much of what we use asterisk for.