[Asterisk-Users] Bandwidth requirement with G729A

Chris A. Icide chris at netgeeks.net
Wed Jul 14 12:31:15 MST 2004

On 08:56 AM 7/14/2004, Kevin Walsh wrote:

 >The 8k is each way, so that makes 16k for voice.

Huh?  I'm not sure the relevance of this as it applies to the original
question.  If the person asking the original question had said that they
were looking at adding both inbound and outbound traffic for a total, then
yes.  However, I think they were only looking at one way traffic since when
most people talk about traffic they speak of one direction (and in many
cases in the network world, since your bandwidth is generally identical in
capacity for both directions, the largest usage is generally the discussed
value).  In other words, I don't say my T1 is 3.088 Mbps because it's 1.544
in and 1.544 out.  However in the case of ADSL I most often refer to it in
a manner denoting both the inbound and outbound (256/2048 for example).

And in the case of measurement, most measurement tools display bandwidth
usage for each direction separately, otherwise troubleshooting would be
severely crippled.

So the issue the original poser is having is that they are unable to
account for measured traffic as opposed to signal traffic.

signal is 8kbps

but then you have the overhead associated with the UDP and IP wrappers as
well as the overhead associated with the ethernet wrapper. There was a post
a while back where someone had gone through and listed the overhead
specifically per 'wrapper' at least down to the ethernet frame level.  You
should be able to google it up for specifics.

-Chris