[Asterisk-Users] Voicemail/autoattendant not working

Chris Willis lists at mokum.org
Wed Jul 14 04:08:42 MST 2004

I'm pretty much a newbie to this but still think I've been around the
various help pages, voip-info.org etc to be fairly sure I'm not
missing something here so your help is appreciated!

I have a box running RedHat9 at home with the latest CVS of Asterisk
and all works fine.

At the office, we installed Gentoo linux on a machine, downloaded the
latest CVS of Asterisk, set it up. All works fine except when I get
onto voicemail. Then, I hear nothing.

It doesn't matter whether I dial 333 (my voicemail extension) and
enter VoiceMailMain or get bounced to voicemail on busy/no answer: I
just don't get to hear anything. If I ring and extension and let it go
over to voicemail, I hear the rining and then when Asterisk picks up
the call and diverts to VM, I get nothing again.

At first, I thought this might be a firewall issue but then took the
phone to an untrusted network allowing it talk without any firewalls
or NATs in between directly to the Asterisk machine.

Version:
Asterisk CVS-HEAD-07/14/04-13:00:40 built by root at idefix on a i686 running Linux

All looks well:
CLI> set verbose 100
    -- Executing VoiceMailMain("SIP/6600-4f26", "") in new stack
    -- Playing 'vm-login' (language 'en')

(I just can't hear it)

ulaw, alaw and gsm are the own codecs I'm allowing at present
on both phone(s) and in Asterisk.

sip debug shows:

13 headers, 8 lines
Found RTP audio format 0
Peer RTP is at port 194.159.72.182:0
Found description format PCMU
Capabilities: us - 0xe(GSM|ULAW|ALAW), peer - audio=0x4(ULAW)/video=0x0(EMPTY), combined - 0x4(ULAW)
Non-codec capabilities: us - 0x1(G723), peer - 0x0(EMPTY), combined - 0x0(EMPTY)

If that's any help.

thanks in advance!

cw

Chris Willis                     lists at mokum.org