[Asterisk-Users] Oz ISDN

Tue Jul 13 07:42:59 MST 2004

On Tue, 2004-07-13 at 12:28, Kimble Young wrote:
> David,
>
> If you go the analogue route:
>
> * You'll get poor audio compared to ISDN which is crystal.
> * Each number will act like a seperate line unlike with an ISDN card where
> you can receive two calls simultaneously on the same line.

Actually, you can configure the NT1+II so that it will behave
differently. (ie, you can set it so that calls to each number will
'prefer' a specific port, but if that port is in use will use the other
port.

> * You'll lose cool ISDN features like call deflection.

Dunno if call deflection even works here, haven't actually got around to
trying it yet.

> * It won't be as reliable (speculation).

Well, as with any comparison between analogue/digital, the digital is
definitely preferred. You *know* when the other side answers/hangs
up/etc. This gives you accurate cdr (billing) information as well as
call progress. Stops you from causing the line to be busy long after the
other party has hung up. etc...

> * It'll probably cost just as much for two analogue cards as a fritz card.

Probably, I'm not sure, but the frustration factor might in the long
run...

> On the positive side you won't have to go through a lot of frustration
> getting the fritz working.

Dunno about this, I got a fritz card about 2 weeks ago for a customer's
pbx. Plugged the card in, followed the instructions available on the
wiki, and basically it just worked. Perhaps if I knew less about linux,
it might have been harder, but from memory, I didn't do anything
specially fancy...

If I was doing this for myself, at home, I would definitely use the
fritz card.

Also, AFAIK, there are no aca approved (old austel tick) fxo cards.

In either case, I would suggest you discuss your options with the folks
at www.atp.org.au, I've found them to be quite helpful, and definitely
quite knowledgeable....

Regards,
Adam