[Asterisk-Users] New Asterisk bounty: SIP simultaneous

Martin List-Petersen martin+asterisk at list-petersen.net
Tue Jul 13 03:48:27 MST 2004

I can see the point of the discussion somewhere, but let's take it the
other way around (comments though mail):

On Tue, 2004-07-13 at 08:53, Olle E. Johansson wrote:
> > You have not shown us ANY example yet for which this
> > facility is *NEEDED*.
> >
> Well, I have users that get an account on my PBX.
>
> I really don't care how many phones they want to use, hardware phones on
> their desktop or soft phones on their laptop while travelling. It's still a user
> with one account. When the PBX dials them, all their phones should ring.

Now .. the problem is, that every hardware phone, every softphone etc.
actually might need a different configuration, some IAX, some SIP, some
one codec, some other codecs (now that we are talk asterisk). It will
get quite problematic to get all solutions under one account without
breaking one or the other.

> Asterisk doesn't really bother with *users*, it has a device-centric view
> of life, universe and propably everything. With Asterisk, the user has to
> call me each time he wants a new device connected and I have to reconfigure
> his setup.

Or you provide him with a webinterface, where he has one username and
one password. He manages the accounts and settings for each
friend,peer,user there and you wouldn't have the work.

Kind regards,
Martin List-Petersen