[Asterisk-Users] UPDATE - Echo cancellation, when software doesn't cut it. Whats next?

Mike Benoit ipso at snappymail.ca
Sun Jul 11 22:52:53 MST 2004

Here's an update on my progress for all who are interested.

After carrying out many more hours of testing, the only thing that made
a significant difference was changing the mainboard/CPU of my asterisk
server.

My original Asterisk server was a Celeron 533 with 128mb ram. Now, keep
in mind, even with 5 channels in use at a time, the CPU usage was always
minimal, the load never went above 0.2 that I saw.

First I upgraded to a brand new Celeron 2.4Ghz with 128mb ram, and
immediately noticed an improvement in the echo.

Incoming calls now have virtually no echo. I have to really try to hear
it. Outgoing calls still have echo, but after about 30 seconds it mostly
goes away during normal conversation. Still not 100% acceptable though.
However it is a huge improvement.

The weird part though is this. Outgoing calls to cell phone numbers
(tried 3 different ones) have virtually no echo. Outgoing calls to land
line numbers do seem to have echo.

I then downgraded my asterisk server to a P3-800 with 128mb ram, and I
didn't notice any difference from the Celeron 2.4. So in my case just
upgrading a Celeron 533 to P3-800 made a noticeable difference, but
anything more than that did not. What I did notice is
in /proc/interrupts, the P3-800 displays:

IO-APIC-level  wcfxo

Whereas I believe the older Celeron 533 displayed:

XT-PIC	wcfxo

So my guess is its not the CPU speed at all, just the way interrupts are
handled.

So the two questions remain.

1. Why do incoming calls have nearly no echo (sound great), and outgoing
calls are bad during the first 30 seconds, and okay (but not good) after
that.

2. Why do outgoing calls to cell phone numbers sound great?

Seeing as an outgoing call to a land line has echo, but the same land
line calling in has virtually no echo, does this point the finger at
Asterisk code having issues?

--
Mike Benoit <ipso at snappymail.ca>