[Asterisk-Users] New Asterisk bounty: SIP simultaneous

Sunrise Ltd stsltdtyo at yahoo.co.jp
Sun Jul 11 01:15:29 MST 2004

>When I call a SIP user, the phone should ring in more
than one
>extentions. Also more than one phone should be able to
register with
>asterisk. Right now it is not the case.

There is no issue here. You seem to be confused, that's
all.

A SIP account is a SIP account and an extension is an
extension. You can assign an extension to an account (or
to multiple accounts) and the tool for that is the dial
command.

However, there is no implicit assignment between an
extension and an account and that is good so. This should
not be changed because it would harm Asterisk's
flexibility and manageability.

>This type of situations might be needed in call centres.
>
>Called 12345
>            |-----------(12345) Ringing
>            |-----------(12345) Ringing
>            |-----------(12345) Ringing

As I said, you are confusing extensions with accounts. The
first "12345" is an extension, the three "(12345)"s are
accounts. Those are different layers, don't mix them up.

You should always be able to distinguish between devices,
even if they are assigned the same phone number. In fact,
in a call centre you'd be using a call queue. It would be
rather nonsensical for a call queue management to have to
distinguish between multiple identical agents.

Therefore, setting up multiple devices with the same
account credentials is not a good idea, especially not in
a call centre. Each device and each agent should have
their own unique account credentials and assigning
extensions to them should always be done through the
dialplan and only the dialplan.

Asterisk has been designed this way. It is a good design.
It should NOT be changed nor undermined.

You may want to do something like this ...

[GLOBALS]

A-GROUP => SIP/2001 & SIP2002 & SIP/2003

B-BROUP => SIP/jdoe & SIP/dflint & SIP/bsmith

[Support]

exten => 12345,1,Dial(${A-GROUP},30,r)

exten => 54321,1,Dial(${B-GROUP},30,r)

There is of course an issue when you want to let different
phones start ringing at different times, for example, the
first phone is supposed to start ringing immediately and
the other two are only to join in if the first phone
hasn't been picked up in 10 seconds, like so

exten => 12345,1,Dial(${JDOE},10,r)
exten => 12345,2,Dial(${JDOE}&{DFLINT}&${BSMITH},20,r)

This works but if JDOE was to pick up right between those
two dial commands, then it will have been too late for the
first and JDOE will be "on the phone" for the second dial
command, so there is some room for improvement. A bounty
might better be spent on solving this little problem.

Also, Asterisk supports call groups and pickup groups.
Indeed, there have been some bugs with those features and
I am not sure if they have have been fixed, but if they
haven't, then it would again make more sense to put the
bounty on fixing those rather than creating an ugly
workaround.

>I feel this is a great feature

I don't and if you spent some more time with Asterisk and
immerse its philosophy, then you'll very likely change
your mind.

>in other SIP proxy server this can be done easily

Asterisk is not a SIP proxy. It's a telephone exchange.

>i mean its default 1 or more phone could be registered
>at 1 number (12345) and resulting same effect

A phone does not register at a number. It registers at an
account to which Asterisk can assign one or more numbers.
This makes perfect sense and it is a far more flexible and
better design.

SIP proxies' auto assignment of extensions to SIP
usernames is a serious limitation, not an advantage.

The only situation where one might want to consider
supporting multiple concurrent logins on the same account
is for public VoIP service providers where end users might
have a SIP phone on their desk and use a softphone on
their notebook when they are traveling.

But here again, it is more likely to be a disadvantage.
Consider the following situation ...

1) Incoming call to 12345

2) both deskphone 12345 and road warrior's notebook 12345
ring

3) Secretary of Mr. 12345 picks up before he himself is
able to do so

4) Caller asks for Mr.12345 but secretary has no way of
trying to transfer the call

OTOH, Asterisk handles this situation much better ...

1) Incoming call to extension 12345

2) Dial command determines to ring both deskphone and road
warrior's notebook which are on different extensions

3) Secretary of Mr. Road Warrior picks up before he
himself is able to do so

4) Caller asks for Mr. Road Warrior, secretary transfers
to internal extension of road warrior notebook's softphone

I am sorry but your bounty doesn't seem to make sense. It
looks more like one of those "Wanted: problem for given
solution" cases.

rgds
benjk