[Asterisk-Users] IVR Menu and VoiceMail quality

usedcanon usedcanon at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Jul 11 00:40:53 MST 2004

-----Original Message-----
From: asterisk-users-admin at lists.digium.com
[mailto:asterisk-users-admin at lists.digium.com]On Behalf Of Chris Shaw
Sent: 11 July 2004 08:35
To: asterisk-users at lists.digium.com
Subject: Re: [Asterisk-Users] IVR Menu and VoiceMail quality

Yep I sure did, damn upstream pipe gets so congested I had to drop it to
about 75% to keep from dropping packets... Seems to be working excellently,
I tried downloading a large file and doing some interactive SSH with no no
noticeable degradation... I'd say we have a winner. Installing and running
Ztdummy seems to have done the trick, I cannot tell a difference between the
quality over VoIP and POTS now, it's excellent...

So for anyone confused on this issue, if you run a pure VoIP setup with no
digium hardware and you want asterisk to do ANYTHING, not just MOH and
MeetME you MUST have some kind of timing source, either ZTDummy or ZapRTC
installed. Especially for doing VoiceMail, that seemed to be the worst for
some reason...

This was very confusing for me because the wiki says that it's only for MOH
and MeetME, that's simply not true or at least not in my experience.