[Asterisk-Users] VoIP hackers gut Caller ID

Nicolas Bougues nbougues-listes at axialys.net
Sat Jul 10 16:34:12 MST 2004

On Wed, Jul 07, 2004 at 11:57:31AM -0400, Timothy R. McKee wrote:
> This has always been one of my pet peeves, even as I worked in the industry.
> A telco switch operating a DS1 on trunk side should enforce caller-id
> numbers to be within the range of DID numbers assigned to that trunk.  There
> should be a default DID number that is used to replace any *invalid* numbers
> sent on that trunk.  Note that blocked caller ids would still be blocked,
> but the rest of the data should be corrected.  Blocking ID is ok, lying
> about it is not.
>
> Blind trust of a non-SS7 link is a _bad_ thing.

PRI signalling enables "Network provided" or "User provided"
caller-id. Maybe IAX could implement such a thing.

It's very common in France (at least) :
- the network will provided a guaranteed caller-id
- the user (CPE) may provide another one (usually, a DID number)

and the called party gets both. Unfortunatly, as far as I understand,
Asterisk is not really designed to handle more than one caller id
number.

--
Nicolas Bougues
Axialys Interactive