[Asterisk-Users] Three (quick?) questions...

Michael Sandee ms at zeelandnet.nl
Sat Jul 10 09:19:24 MST 2004

Ken D'Ambrosio wrote:

>[Please excuse if this is a repeat; I initially tried to send it from a
>different account, and it's been held up for a couple of days awaiting
>moderation.]
>
>1) What's the absolute minimum required (hardware-wise) in order to get one
>   in-bound POTS line into Asterisk, and then have IP phones "inside?"
>   [In other words, I obviously need a NIC -- but what would be the
>   bare-bones telco POTS interface?]

X100P/X101P... but people don't like it, so take the little more
expensive TDM400P with a single FXO interface.

>2) What phones would be recommended for inexpensive (doesn't even need LCD),
>   and yet functional?

Some people like budgetone's, but the site www.voip-info.org should
reveal more information...
If you want something cheaper... you can always get a second FXS module
for the TDM400P and plug a standard analogue phone in it, maybe use one
that supports FSK signalling for CallerID number + name. Even if you
won't use this in production, a TDM400P with both FXS and FXO interface
is very nice for testing stuff in combination with Asterisk.

>3) In order to share data and voice over a T1, does it have to be PRI?
>   [I've got a T1 I could probably play with, but I'd like to be sure
>   it'll... well, you know: work.]

Yep, T100P should do in that case. Call Digium sales for details.