[Asterisk-Users] vonage.ca * integration possible?

Jay Milk jay at skimmilk.net
Fri Jul 9 13:41:59 MST 2004

This may be workable for incoming calls, but I don't see how you can get
the ATA to create the secret for initiating a call.  You'd also need to
mess with your infrastructure a bit.  Your DHCP server needs to give the
ATA the IP for a "special" DNS server that can fool the ATA into talking
to your box instead of Vonage.  Your box then needs to forward the
registration request, substituting it's own address.  You'll probably be
able to register and receive calls that way.  To send calls, you'd have
to learn the secret, or somehow get the ATA to initiate the call (maybe
by plugging it into an FXO port... But hey, then you're already
connected anyway...)

I think if you're attempting to go that route, maybe it's smarter to
simply impersonate the ATA entirely and retrieve the set-up information
from Vonage.  Watch for TFTP traffic and see what goes back and forth
(changing the bandwidth-saver option on my ATA186 usually initates a
reload).  I have a general idea on how to crack the ATA186 config info,
couldn't tell you what to do with the Motorola.  If you do end up
writing a little piece of software that impersonates an ATA, that would
be worth a few bucks to me, because I can unplug the hardware ata and
cancel my softline...