[Asterisk-Users] IRC channel #asterisk on irc.freenode.net

Andrew Kohlsmith akohlsmith-asterisk at benshaw.com
Fri Jul 9 06:18:55 MST 2004

On Friday 09 July 2004 06:54, Antti Lohikoski wrote:
> 1. The irc.freenode.net server gives me "Couldn't look up your hostname"
> and "No identd (auth) response" followed with "Closing Link: StiX
> (Invalid username [~antti.loh])"

This is *specifically* why I wish bkw (Brian West) would turn off that flag on
the channel.

In order to combat spam bots infiltrating the channel, it is set up to only
allow freenode-registered nicknames.

In order to register your nickname with freenode, send a "/msg nickserv help"
command once you're on freenode.  NickServ is a Nickname Server bot -- it
will let you register a nickname and set a password so your nickname can't be
"stolen".

Identd is *not* required.

Regards,
Andrew