[Asterisk-Users] FINALLY! a good book about Asterisk.

Dameon D. Welch-Abernathy dwelch at phoneboy.com
Fri Jul 9 00:10:12 MST 2004

On Thu, 2004-07-08 at 22:02, Kevin Walsh wrote:

> > In my experience, the royalty is 10 to 15% of the *wholesale* price,
> > which means it's more like two to three bucks a book. Trust me, unless
> > you're Stephen King, John Grisham, or someone like that, you don't make
> > all that much writing books (at least directly).
> >
> All the more reason for the author to consider OpenDoc publishing.

At the time I started the first book (which technically, someone else
started, I ended up taking over), I don't think that was an option. By
the second book (which was just an update of the first), I couldn't do
OpenDoc because I was basically under contract with the publisher.

> Authors of technical books tend to make more money out of consulting
> anyway, as they're seen as an expert in their field.

That assumes, of course, the author still wants to work in that field by
the time the book is published. :)

-- PhoneBoy