[Asterisk-Users] Digium FXO Interfaces don't support groundstart???

ghost at silcon.com ghost at silcon.com
Thu Jul 8 01:55:09 MST 2004

Hi All,

I was surprised to be told by a Digium support person today that Digium's
FXO interfaces (X100P, TDM400P FXO modules) don't support groundstart
signalling.  This surprises me because as far as I know in a typical PBX
configuration with analog trunk lines, groundstart signalling is the only
way to prevent Glare.

I just purchased two TDM400P's for a system I'm building to replace our
office PBX (Altigen).   Since there are no statements anywhere on Digium's
website about lack of groundstart support (Actually, to the contrary they
boast about all the signalling support in their sales slick), I now need
to decide if I want to return the products and switch to a T1 / channel
bank configuration.

I remember when we setup our current Altigen PBX, we had problems with
glare and disconnect detection and so I went through the process of
figuring out what was going on and learning about groundstart.  After we
switched to groundstart everything worked great.

In a high use system, it's highly likely that a trunk will experience
glare, which is annoying for incoming callers and system users.   I'm just
a bit baffled as to why Digium wouldn't support groundstart on cards
designed to be PBX trunk lines.

Someone please tell me I'm missing something.

Mark