[Asterisk-Users] VoIP hackers gut Caller ID

Christopher Lee chris at datachaos.com.au
Wed Jul 7 21:51:08 MST 2004

> hi...
>
> here in Italy is almost impossible to set an
> invalid cid, if is out of your allowed space.
> ie. if you have X numbers on your PRI,
> you can only set one of these. nothing more.
> on bri you simply cannot do nothing.
>
> just my 2 cents.

Indeed I've noticed here in Australia on BRI-ISDN (2x B channels) with DID I
can't spoof numbers to the exchange... it's been a while since I toyed with
the system, but from memory I could attempt to set any 9 digit number I
wanted for the CallerID string, however the exchange would not allow that to
go through and instead passed through the correct group directory number
(primary number) for the service.

However if I set the CallerID digits to anywhere within our 100-number block
DID range, the exchange will happily pass on the specific number... guess it
might be a combination of Euro ISDN standards and how the local telco's
configure the exchanges.