[Asterisk-Users] Cisco, Sip, Linux, ISDN

Darryl Ross darryl at oeg.com.au
Wed Jul 7 19:33:05 MST 2004

HI Mike,

> 2) I could add an isdn card to the Linux box. This seems to me to be the
> cleanest solution, I'd make my firewall also be the asterisk server, and
> hopefully gain some control of tcp flows that way to more highly
> prioritize voice traffic
>
> +apparent simplicity, maybe fax support
> -s it seems most of the ISDN cards in isdn4linux are not sold in the US,
> the technology is stagnant, and I'm less than enthused about statements
> like "Any CAPI based ISDN card will work" when I'd prefer something like
> ISDN card XXX tested on an opteron running kernel X.Y.Z, using
> multi-link ppp and and asterisk, no problems....

I am using a Traverse NetJet-S card with the ISDN4Linux drivers in
Asterisk on my home firewall. I was using ISDN to connect to the 'Net,
but I've just -- in the last couple of months -- managed to convice
Telstra let me get ADSL provisioned. I decided to keep the ISDN line for
voice, so I've got a personal number and a business number coming in the
ISDN.

The only "problem" I've had is that I have had absolutely no luck in
getting fax support working with the i4l driver and my questions on this
list in regards to that have gone unanswered on at least 3 occasions...

You can find the Traverse site at http://www.traverse.com.au/. Last time
I checked they had a card for the US market (you'd need to email them to
ask if the NetSpider works with I4L).

HTH,
Darryl