[Asterisk-Users] Newbie's doubt on sip.conf

Andrew Thompson asteriskuser at aktzero.com
Wed Jul 7 14:42:54 MST 2004

kaiduan xie wrote:
> Andrew,
>
> Thanks for help. But you still doesnot answer my
> questions. Please see the inline comments.

I'm sorry that I didn't quite understand what you were asking. I'll try
again...

> BTW, I use "Getting Started with Asterisk" as
> reference (http://www.automated.it/guidetoasterisk.htm#_Toc49248767).
>
> Thanks,
>
> kaiduan
> --- Andrew Thompson <asteriskuser at aktzero.com> wrote:
>> kaiduan xie wrote:
>>> 1) Can I have two or more SIP phones acting as
>>> extensions in one Asterisk box, and at the same time, registered to
>>> a SIP proxy, say Free World Dialup? If yes, how?
>>
>> Your phone would have to support registering with
>> more than one sip server.
>> It may seem like what you want, but I doubt it is
>> necessary.
>
> In my case, each SIP phones register with FWD, and was
> assigned a extension. I can put more register for each
> phone in sip.conf. For example,
>
> register => 21103:mypassword at fwd.pulver.com/1000
> register => 21104:mypassword at fwd.pulver.com/2000

The register line tells asterisk to contact the specified server and
"register" the availability of the user(extension) specified. This means any
calls destined for that user will be passed to your asterisk. The /1000
tells asterisk to direct any calls to 21103 to extension 1000. (Not
specifically asked, but I wanted to elaborate on anyway.)

> My concern is how to setup the [fwd.pulver.com]
>
> [fwd.pulver.com]
> type=friend
> secret=mypassword
> username=my fwd number
> host=fwd.pulver.com
>
> since there are two FWD numbers, should I set secret
> and username for each SIP Phones?
>
> Also, you still doesnot answer my question, what is
> the use of section [fwd.pulver.com]? Why we need
> secret and username in [fwd.pulver.com] since we
> already provide it in "register =>
> 21104:mypassword at fwd.pulver.com/2000"?

If asterisk is registering succesfully, you should be able to *receive*
calls from fwd.

At this point, you need to define an outbound entry for each fwd number you
want to create calls as. If you only need for your outbound calls to appear
as from one fwd number, a single entry will do.

I'm currently referencing:
http://www.voip-info.org/wiki-Asterisk+config+sip.conf

Create a type=peer section for each fwd number you'll be dialing out as. You
will only need this in your Dial() line.

I have only a single fwd number right now, so I have not built outbound
contexts for more than one fwd number. You'll need to ask for that
specifically from the list.

-----
Andrew Thompson
http://aktzero.com/