[Asterisk-Users] VoIP hackers gut Caller ID

Scott Laird scott at sigkill.org
Wed Jul 7 12:51:00 MST 2004

On Jul 7, 2004, at 7:00 AM, Kevin Walsh wrote:
> Perhaps service providers who allow the Caller*ID to be set should
> insist that customers provide evidence that they own the phone numbers
> that they want to publish, and then limit the customers' choices to
> only the numbers in their approved list.  Calling the customer on the
> provided number(s) would be an easy way to check, and a setup fee
> could be levied to cover the provider's time and expenses, if required.

Why?  This completely destroys legitimate uses for controlling your own
caller ID.

Imagine a simple follow-me service that takes incoming calls over IAX
and sends them back out to your home, business, cell, hotel, or
wherever phone.  Assuming that your IAX provider lets you set your own
caller ID, you can forward the call through your system while still
keeping the original call's caller ID intact.  So, when 212-123-4567
calls you and Asterisk forwards it to your cell phone, you'll see
212-123-4567 on your phone display, *NOT* your own phone number.  This
is a completely legitimate use for setting your own caller ID.

> Being able to discover a "blocked" Caller*ID is another matter.  Both
> are good areas for regulation.

Nope.  The "blocked caller ID" in really ANI information for 800
numbers.  The theory is that you're paying for the call, so you get to
see who's calling you.  It works this way for every other 800 number,
why should it be different if it's delivered over IP rather then a T1?

Scott