[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk in the news

Florin Andrei florin at andrei.myip.org
Wed Jul 7 12:43:58 MST 2004

Article on SecurityFocus about the security of Caller ID and other
telephony features in the context of VoIP:

http://securityfocus.com/news/9061

Quotes:

Hackers have discovered that the handy feature that tells you who's
calling before you answer the phone is easily manipulated through
weaknesses in Voice over IP (VoIP) programs and networks. They can make
their phone calls appear to be from any number they want, and even
pierce the veil of Caller I.D. blocking to unmask an anonymous phoner's
unlisted number.
much Caller I.D. chicanery can be accomplished by taking advantage of
implementation quirks in Voice over IP networks that try, but fail, to
implement Caller I.D. properly.
But the most powerful tool for manipulating and accessing CPN data is
the open-source Linux-based PBX software Asterisk, used in combination
with a permissive VoIP provider. "It's fully configurable, you can
pretty much do anything you want with it,"

--
Florin Andrei

http://florin.myip.org/